Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Simple Geometric


I haven't posted in a while, but in advance of doing a major post I want to do an appreciation of an image, this one by Nick Suydam (link to captioned flickr version here, website here).

Everyone has their own preferences in what a nice image should look like, and this one pushes several of my buttons. First, the simple but strong geometry, with the arc of the gently curved rails as the dominant element and the straight of the road as the contrasting one, with of course the block of the train. Second is the color, the strong primary blue and red of the train for sure, and of course contrasted against the white snow they look great! But I like the detail colors too, the yellow of the bollard posts in front of the building, the green dot of the ground signal, the crimson of the car. Beyond that the setting is nice, snow is always great, especially fresh enough to cover some cars. The tight dimensions are interesting too, the tracks close to the building up to and also to the corner intruding lower right.

It's not a perfect shot; it seems top-heavy - yet I wouldn't want to cut anything off the bottom, and not really anything off the top either. But I like it, it provides great pleasure, it is up my alley, it is worthy of revisiting. It also teaches me another nugget about seeing images and seeing through my camera. Well done!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have to agree with you. This is one of those images that looks more pleasing the more you look at it.

Mel Patrick